Making Rustic wooden wall art is not as difficult as you may think. Wooden art and wooden signs are everywhere and for good reason. People love nature. Wood, stone, old steel, and other rustic-looking items, are all used and easily obtainable to make your own rustic wooden sign or wooden wall display.
From old planks to pieces of driftwood, the options of where to get supplies from are endless, Just to give you a head start I will name a few places to find or to get old pieces off wood to make your own rustic personalized rustic wall art.
Ideas For Getting Wooden Materials
- Beach – If A beach is reachable there is almost always lots of driftwood around, There is some amazing driftwood wall art around, This can easily be incorporated with you piece
- Old wooden pallets or crate boxes – Probably the most accessible as most stores use them for deliveries and crate boxes are anywhere alcohol stores are.
- Old Barns or condemned houses offer huge amounts of weathered, rustic wood. Always ask permission first to take some.
- Old fences – Perfect for signs if unpainted, If painted you can strip the paint off but looks better naturally weathered.
- Recycling center – Always have a huge amount of old frames and bits of timber. A pre-made frame can sometimes be a good base to start your sign or wall hanging on.
- Family and friends – Ask around, U’ll be surprised who has what lying around
Depending on your style and taste, The kind of wooden wall hanging you are after will ultimately be up to you. Whether you are building a simple wooden sign or trying to construct a complicated piece of artwork, a lot of the principals are the same.
Ideas for making your own rustic wood wall decor
Ideally, you will already have an image or visual idea in mind for your sign or wall display, If not here are some handy places to look. Remember in most cases you will still need a backing board of some kind to stick or build your Rustic wooden sign or wall hanging on.
- Pinterest – If you are in need of rustic wood ideas for you to try, Pinterest has thousands of images from all over the world
- Google images – Type into google ( Rustic Wooden Wall Art ) The results are very impressive.
- Stores or cafes – To be honest most stores or cafes have wooden styled signs or wall art displayed, These are more pleasing to the public as natural and rustic is a very popular style.
- Nature. What kind of wall art is it you are making? Driftwood if you are making sea or Nautical Styled decor, or Rustic Farm style where darker woods will suit better.
- Trial and error – If you have an abundance of materials, lay everything out and start trying different combinations together,
If you are going to build your own rustic wood wall art or sign, you are going to need tools and equipment to build it with.
Hopefully, by now you will have an idea of what you are going to make and how you are going to make it. If not, I would figure this out first so you know what tools you may need, Pointless buying tools and materials, if you are not going to use them.
- Scissors, Knife, snips, If you are incorporating bark, sticks, twigs, paper or cardboard you will need something to cut with
- Saw – If using bigger bits of wood a hand saw may be needed.
- Paints and paintbrushes – More so if you are making a sign but paints are usually included.
- Ruler or Tape measure and marker – If needing to, Mark out cuts, Screw holes, borderlines. This will help with the overall presentation.
- Drill and drill bits – If you are joining boards together, pre-drilling pilot holes prevent boards from splitting when screwing or nailing together, In some cases, you can drill holes through the joins and use string or fine rope to bind the pieces together with, avoiding modern materials altogether.
- Glue and fixtures – In most cases, Glue and/or Screws and nails are used, Liquid Nails is A good alternative to using screws or nails.
- Clamps, chisels, files, and rasps are all commonly used in woodworking,
Have Fun And Good Luck
I hope this has helped you in some way to find materials or help build your rustic wooden sign or wall display.
I would love to know how you get on building yours, Let me know in the comments by leaving a message and ill be sure to get back to you when I can.